Ford Theatres is fully committed to reducing its impact on the environment and being a model for other cultural organizations. We strive to incorporate environmental sustainability into the core of the Ford Theatres’ operations wherever reasonably possible. Specifically, we adopt the following policies to reduce our environmental footprint:
- Conserve energy, water and natural resources.
- Commit to purchase environmentally friendly products.
- Dispose of waste responsibly to reduce impact on the local ecology.
- Reuse, recycle and reduce wherever possible and practicable.
- Educate staff and artists on Ford Theatres’ sustainability policy and practices.
The Ford Theatres construction project incorporated energy efficient measures in its design to bring the building in compliance with modern energy standards. All facilities were outfitted with Energy Star certified appliances, programmable thermostats, occupancy light sensors, and low-flow faucets and bathroom fixtures. Drought tolerant native plants were planted and low-water drip irrigation systems were installed. Furthermore, the Ford Theatres already encourages patrons to utilize energy-efficient methods of transportation to travel to the Ford; public transportation options have long been posted on our website and in our marketing materials. More recently, parking discounts were made available for carpooling patrons and the Ford has engaged Motev, a car service with an electric vehicle fleet, to transport touring artists during their stays in Los Angeles.
To make further progress increasing our environmental sustainability, in 2019, the Ford Theatres engaged the firm Arts Earth Partnership to make environmental policy and practice recommendations. After AEP’s audit of Ford Theatres’ operations, the following actions were taken to align with environmental best practices for performing arts organizations:
- A committee made up of Ford Theatres, Crumble Catering and Parks and Recreation staff (the “Ford Green Team”) has been assembled and has been meeting regularly to identify ways the Ford Theatres can embed environmental practice into its operations.
- Signage has been posted around the facility encouraging staff, visitors and patrons to conserve resources.
- Inefficient lighting was replaced with efficient LED bulbs.
- Cleaning staff has been educated to use nontoxic cleaning products without antibacterial agents whenever possible.
- Reusable cups and water dispensers were purchased for use in meetings and for artist hospitality, nearly eliminating the need for single-use bottled water.
- Only 100% recycled or minimum 30% post-consumer waste recycled content will be purchased for office, kitchen, and bathroom papers and for marketing materials.
The Ford Green Team will continue to identify initiatives, recommend improvements and enforce policy to reduce the Ford Theatres impact on the environment and our local ecology.