Ford Theatres is Now Accepting Letters of Intent to apply to the
2019 Artists Partnership Program
Due MONDAY, June 11, 2018
LETTER OF INTENT ELIGIBILITY
The Ford Theatres has initiated a two-tier application format to minimize the work for applicants at the first stage. Ford Theatres will consider Letters of Intent that reflect Ford Theatres’ mission; to bring people together for transformative arts experiences that inspire, empower and ignite cultural exchange. Upon review, selected applicants will be invited to submit a full application. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Ford Theatres Artists Partnership Program guidelines before submitting an LOI.
To Be Eligible you must be a Los Angeles County-based independent artist, nonprofit organization, presenter, producer or producing collective interested in presenting in the 2019 Ford Theatres performance season, June through mid-October.
LOIs must adhere to the indicated format. You must also submit work samples as detailed below.
In no more than two pages, using 11 point Arial font and one inch margins, provide a summary of your proposed event using the following format:
Salutation: Address letter to the Ford Theatres’ Partnership Program Selection Committee
Paragraph 1: Applicant Information
Address the following:
- Applicant and/or organization name and brief introduction.
Paragraph 2: Project Description
Describe your artistic vision for the event and walk us through the show from start to finish. Please include the following::
- What artistic discipline is represented in the proposed work? (e.g. dance, music, opera, multidisciplinary work, theatre, musical theatre folk and traditional arts, etc.)
- What cultural or ethnic traditions are represented in the production? (if applicable)
- Describe your event including title and proposed performers.
- Describe the core audience for your proposed event. Please be specific and avoid generalizations such as “Los Angeles residents” or “fans of our work.” Consider geographic, cultural, ethnic, generational and artistic affiliations of your core audiences and the approximate size of these groups.
- Please include the total budget you estimate spending on the project and describe the various sources you will target to fund the project. You can find sample budgets in the Project Budget Workbook Instructions on page 6.
Paragraph 3: Why the Ford?
Address the following:
- Why it is important to your organization to produce at the Ford’s 1180-seat venue at this time?
- How does the proposed event align with the Ford’s mission and guiding principles?
Paragraph 4: Production History
Address the following:
- List at least two examples of an event you have or your organization has produced. Should be recent and as similar in size or scope to the proposed show as possible. Include venue name and audience capacity.
- Describe how the project was financed and if it broke even or realized a profit or loss.
Work Samples and References
In no more than one page, using 11 point Arial font and one inch margins, provide work samples and references as follows:
Provide only web links (e.g. Youtube, Vimeo, Soundcloud, Flickr, etc.). Samples must either be of a previous production of the proposed event or events that are similar in scale and/or production quality. You may submit up to two video work samples, no longer than three minutes each. At least one sample must show the work of a fully staged production or concert. If you have rehearsal or workshop footage featuring an excerpt of the proposed program, please include it. Samples should feature the proposed artists/company/organization. Do not include marketing/promo videos or edited montages, except for film or film festival trailers.
Provide two references that speak to your production experience. References should represent or be associated with venues, festivals or other presenting entities. Underneath each reference, provide a short description of their relationship to your work. (Please remember to receive prior permission for your references.)
Proposed projects will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Artistic quality and proposed detail
- Applicant’s background/experience producing performing arts events
- An existing supportive core audience
- Adaptability to the Ford’s stage, technical capabilities and audience capacity
- Alignment with the Ford’s mission
TO SUBMIT AN LOI
Send your LOI in Word or PDF format only to email@example.com. In the subject line, include “Ford Partnership LOI– [APPLICANT NAME].” LOI’s must be received no later than June 11, 2018, 5 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time to be considered. Full application submissions are by invitation only, as a result of LOI panel review. Invitation to submit a full application will be sent by July 16, 2018 and full applications must be completed by August 31, 2018.
For complete Ford Theatres Partnership Program guidelines, see the Ford Theatres website. For questions about the LOI process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 323-856-5793.
Read more about the Ford Theatres here.