The John Anson Ford Theatres complex, one of the oldest performing arts venues in Los Angeles still in use, includes the open air Ford Amphitheatre. Since its creation in 1994, the Ford Theatre Foundation, in close partnership with the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, has enhanced the cultural vitality of the region by supporting programs that celebrate and reflect the diversity of Los Angeles. Since its launch in 2001 and with primary funding from the James Irvine Foundation, the Community Bridges program supports activities that harness the strength and richness of Los Angeles’ multiple cultural identities. Through the Community Bridges program, the Ford has become a regional leader in engaging traditionally underrepresented populations.
The following positions are currently available:
CLOSING DATE: December 6
The Ford Theatres in Hollywood are in search of a full-time Communications Assistant. Reporting to the Productions Marketing Manager, candidate will assist the communications team with marketing the Ford Theatres, a multi-disciplinary performing arts venue with programming in the 1200-seat Ford Amphitheatre, offering music, dance, family events and film from June through October. The candidate will also assist with marketing the L.A. County Holiday Celebration, a free three-hour event that takes place annually on December 24 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, presenting community and professional choirs, music ensembles and dance companies representing the diverse cultures and holiday traditions of LA County, as well as the L.A. County Arts Commission’s Free Concerts program. The Ford Theatres and L.A. County Holiday Celebration are programs of the Los Angeles County Arts Commission.
Event Marketing Coordination
• Assists the Arts Commission’s Communications Division with day-to-day event marketing duties including drafting event descriptions and press releases, editing artist biographies and formatting digital images, coordinating communications with season artists, assisting with advertising buys and executing mailings and other distribution of promotional materials.
• Maintains and updates communications templates, documents and databases, and maintains the Communications Division’s internal calendar.
• Researches and coordinates targeted, grassroots marketing and outreach efforts to schools, community centers, senior centers, churches and other community-based organizations.
• Researches and makes recommendations on effective event marketing strategies and evolving practices in the field.
• Provides technical assistance to partner artists, producers and organizations to support the promotion of their events.
Resource and Materials Management
• Coordinates the collection and cataloguing of photographs, video and other visual materials.
• Creates basic graphic design elements for use in digital event promotions; formats and edits photographs for use in print, web and social media promotions.
• Maintains programming of artwork on the Ford Theatres' electronic sign.
Events and Evaluation Assistance
• Assists with the coordination of promotional activities including video shoots, special events, workshops and rehearsals.
• Liaises with event staff to provide necessary materials and lists to accommodate press attendance at events and rehearsals.
• Attends Arts Commission events and coordinates the distribution, collection and analysis of audience surveys.
PROJECT PERIOD: Continuous
WORKING HOURS: 40 hours per week
PROJECT LOCATION: 1055 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 800, Los Angeles, CA 90017
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/SKILLS/MAJOR: Desirable qualifications include a background in marketing, journalism, communications and/or public relations; interest in the performing and visual arts; ability to write; familiarity with social media, websites and photo editing software; ability to use Windows-based computer and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher and Powerpoint; familiarity with Adobe Photoshop; fluency in oral and written Spanish is a plus. Possible majors include, but are not limited to, communications, journalism, marketing, public administration or public relations.
ESSENTIAL QUALITIES AND ABILITIES: Consistent attention to detail and accuracy; ability to stay organized and meet deadlines; ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment; good telephone skills; ability to be proactive and plan ahead. Candidate must be reliable, honest and possess enthusiasm and dedication for the arts and the task at hand.
REQUIRED ORAL AND WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS: The candidate must be able to present both oral and written information in a poised, persuasive and professional manner; possess the ability to work both collaboratively and independently; and interact successfully and effectively with a wide variety of people on-and off-site.
COMPENSATION: $32,640 annually, plus benefits (health and dental).
HOW TO APPLY: Candidates are invited to submit a cover letter explaining why this position is of interest, resume, writing sample and a list of three references. All submissions should be emailed to email@example.com with Communications Assistant as the subject line. Please do not submit any application materials through the US mail or phone regarding the status of the submission. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Position will remain open until the staffing need is met or until December 6, 2012.
BACKGROUND: The Los Angeles County Arts Commission fosters excellence, diversity, vitality, understanding and accessibility of the arts in Los Angeles County. The Arts Commission provides leadership in cultural services for the County, including information and resources for the community, artists, educators, arts organizations and municipalities. To learn more about the Arts Commission, please visit www.lacountyarts.org.
The Ford is accepting applications from qualified theatrical technicians to join its Summer Season stage crew. Typical duties include assisting with the load-in, set-up, running, strike and load-out of events. Candidates must have a working knowledge of current industry standards and equipment, including contemporary lighting and audio systems, be able to lift 50 lbs, and be able to climb to heights over 10 feet. Must be able to work safely and efficiently. Ideal candidates will have a hands-on, can-do work ethic, good communication skills and be able to work both independently and as part of a team in a high-paced, exciting environment.
To apply send a cover letter and resume to:
John Anson Ford Theatres
2580 Cahuenga Blvd. E.
Hollywood, CA 90068